fot

Re: [Fot] Monterey Historics - how much history?

To: Dennis DeLap <yellow-green@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Monterey Historics - how much history?
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 19:03:18 -0700
I assume you're talking about YOUR personal trip on the Merry Go
Round. I expect the Historics will go for a long while.

What it takes first of all is asking to be invited. Write a letter to
General Racing and tell them about your car. It's really the car that
gets invited, not the driver, though you have to let them know (and
they have to approve) of any driver change. There are people who try
to buy their way into Monterey by paying for a seat in a car that has
been accepted.  Doesn't work, generally.

People go to Monterey and walk through the paddock to see race cars,
cool cars and exotics. Your car has either be really nice, or really
real. Patina is welcome. Contrary to popular belief they will take
many different cars, and certainly production cars with a race
history. The more history you can detail the better.

But they tend to take more true race cars than anything else. In
theory it's a little easier to get in when your marque is featured, in
practice while they took 150 porsches this year who knows how many
Porsche entries they got. My friend Cameron got his 906 and 906
accepted but not his Pooper. I don't expect to see Triumph as the
featured Marque any time soon, though they sure surprised me with the
"specials" choice a few years ago.

It helps to have a car that has a long history at the Historics.
Peyote has been there many times and is well known. It also helps to
participate in HMSA events and less saturated General Racing events.
Wine Country, Limerock, etc. Then they know you and your car.

Other than that it's just a crapshoot. I've heard absurd numbers for
how many entries they get.