fot

Re: [Fot] Race tire poll

To: <toodamnfunky@comcast.net>, "'fot'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Race tire poll
From: "Norlin Engineering" <norlinengineering@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 19:58:30 -0700
This is my experience on a Spitfire.

I started out running Yokohama A032's and really liked them.  They were the
hard compound and lasted forever.  However they are now obsolete and I had
to look for other tires.  I also have a set of RA-1's at full tread depth
that I use as "intermediate" rain tires.  Once last year I put them on
anticipating rain that didn't materialize.  My time was off at least 1-2
seconds on a 100 (give or take) second lap from the Yok's.  However, I do
like how the RA-1's work on a damp track.

This year, I had to retire the Yok's.  I went with Hoosier R-6's.  It took a
while to work out the tire pressures, but I can safely say that the Hoosiers
are significantly faster than either the Yokohama tires or the Toyos.  Not
sure how long they will last, but I've got 2 full weekends on them so far.
I think at least 4 weekends for sure, and maybe more.

All this being said, realize that this is on a Spitfire that runs a lot of
negative camber.  The car loves radial tires and vice-versa.

Jim Norlin