fot

Re: [Fot] Stupid Gear Question

To: "Robert Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Stupid Gear Question
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@spitfire4.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 23:40:15 -0500
Just IMHO -- for autox the lower gears work better. Thing is, since every
event is a new course you can't tune to the track like you can road racing.
I have a 4.55 in my Spitfire. I'll go to one event and do the whole course
in 2nd, another and I'm rowing back and forth 2nd and 3rd. And you never
know which until you get there. Changing rear ends is too complex and time
consuming for tuning for an autox course. So you learn to row when you need
to. Sometimes short-shifting. Shifting is only a waste when you spend so
little time in the new gear as to have made it not worth the trouble, but if
you can get a couple of seconds or a couple hundred feet in the new gear,
shift! And then learn how to smooth out your 3-2 downshifts (it's not really
double-clutching but a little throttle blip helps)

My 4.11 hasn't been in the car since the last time I road raced at
Hutchinson (airport course), which was in the '80s sometime. Even on
dragstrip tracks like Memphis and the old Wentzville circuit, the 4:55 was
overall better. At Hutch, the 4.11 was worth 4 seconds a lap over the 4.55.
At Hallett, the 4.55 was worth 4 seconds over the 4.11. In autox, with the
4.11 I could hardly get going and I'd give up a ton every time I needed to
accelerate. I also used to run on 21-inch tires, now I'm on 20s (so's
everyone else) for the gearing change. BTW, my local AX site is an
ex-airport runway too, which tends to faster-speed courses.

--Rocky Entriken