fot

Re: [Fot] Early TR4 Street Car question

To: "'Scott Janzen'" <s.janzen@comcast.net>, "''Friends of Triumph'
Subject: Re: [Fot] Early TR4 Street Car question
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:33:18 -0500
Yup, you put a 2x4 or 2x6 on the bottom of the oil pan and jack the engine
up just enough to squeeze that thick old fan belt on. Just enough "give" in
those original motor mounts to lift engine enough to get the belt on.  I
remember the first time I had to do it.  Might have even carried around a
junk of 2x4 along with the spare belt in case I had to change it on the
road.  Never did, just kept a close eye on the belt.  Those old thick belts
used to crack and have to be replaced fairly often.  Common problem and
"back in the day" that's what everyone did.  Seemed like common knowledge
back then.

Tim Murphy
1961 TR4 #317 (Had a 1966 TR4A that I bought new and had for about 25 years
until the frame broke.  Sure wish RATCO would have been around then!)