fot

[Fot] TR4 rear main cap "leaking" shellac

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] TR4 rear main cap "leaking" shellac
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 22:12:18 -0400
When I assembled my engine I soaked the felt strips in a couple of
gallons of Indian Head Shellac.  Some seeped to the outside of the
cap, of course, as well as dripped down the inside of the
block.  I've driven the car for maybe 30 minutes of spirited fun
since the rebuild.  Tonight I noticed a streak of shellac down the
front of the flywheel inspection plate.  Is this normal?  I sense
not, but am at a loss to explain why it would liquify again.  The
split seal is leaking, which would cause hot oil to contact the
shellac.  Perhaps it has dissolved the shellac?  I'll run a test tomorrow.

What say the gurus?

tnx

jim

--