fot

[Fot] Nordschleife race - Eifelrennen

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Nordschleife race - Eifelrennen
From: "MadMarx" <tr4racing@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 23:54:14 +0200
A little report from the Eifelrace:

At Thursday all arrived at the trackside. All, that means the CSCC and the
Triumph Competition drivers.
There was a little rain that got less towards evening. The weather forecast
did show sunny weather.
All did pass the technical scruteneering.
I was part of the Red Baron Team around Jo Willams. He and his mechanics
took care for our cars.
The team consisted out of 4 cars and drivers:
Stephan Schamschula - TR6 PI
Mark Richards - TR7 V8 3.9L
K.P. Mutschler / U. Markovac - TR4
Christian Marx - TR4

After rising the big truck tent and having some beer for the night Jo, Mark
and me went into our sleeping bags in the truck for the night. I never had
snoring in stereo but my sleep mates let me share this so I could forget
about sleeping with that much noise.
The next morning took long to come. But the mood of the group was excellent.
Mark was so excited to get finally on the track.

At Friday morning around 10.00am was the first practice session. We entered
track. After a warming up lap on the GP track the order was "pedal to the
metal" and here we go.
After a 3/4 lap on the GP track we entered the exit to the Nordschleife. Wow
- diving down to the Hatzenbach following the fast sweepers, then the track
opens to the main part and the lots of full throttle on almost straights and
the pleasant to drive corners with jumps and bumps.

Fastest of the Team Red Baron was Mark Richards. He did a great ride in his
TR7 V8. Me was doing okay. Max speed of my car was 129 mph. Mark did a solid
11:20  and me a low 11:30.

At Saturday the practice was at 8:30. Very early. Cold tires, some fog at
some stages, and a little wet through the fogging. So the laptimes went down
compared with the Friday run.
After 3 laps the engine heated up very quickly. The others had no trouble
but were slower than on Friday.
We worked on the cooling system but didn't changed the head gasket. A
failure as been seen on the next day.

Sunday - race day.
We all gridded on the start / finish straight. About 150 cars lined up for
the race.
Mark and me stood side by side. The flags were waved and the field moved for
the information lap, a full lap of 25 km length. During this lap the engine
went hot again and while the start happened I directly drove into the
pitlane and stopped at the team pit. A lot of water was gone, the thermostat
was removed, some other things they tried after I several times came in from
a short GP track lap. So I ended up the race stranded somewhere on the
track.

Mark did a wonderful job. He managed to win the group and class after the
leading Corvette retired.
The other TR4 with K.P. Mutschler / U. Markovac won their class and Stephan
Schamschula won his class.

After all a successful weekend with jolly good fun, some party and price
giving.

I could bet that the CSCC will return next year to have another go.

Cheers
Chris