fot

[Fot] TR3 wins at SCCA National

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] TR3 wins at SCCA National
From: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 18:08:36 GMT
Friends, not trying to brag (too much), but wanted to share that TR3s can
still win at SCCA National races.  I raced at Lime Rock this past weekend and
came away with a 1st in EP.  My previous best finish at a National was a 3rd.

I qualified 8th overall and 2nd in EP with a 1:00.918, compared to the pole
sitter at 0:58.911 and the lead EP car (an RX7) at 0:59.311.  I caught my 1st
break when the EP BMW 325i starting right behind me did not show to the grid.
He had brake problems that they could not fix in time.  My strategy was to
drive the race at my pace and could easily take 2nd place, but also hope for
the RX7 to somehow come up short. which it later did.  With the RX7 1.5
seconds faster than me, I would not be able to keep up with him for too long.
I had a great start, but within a couple of laps lost a few spots to some STU
cars that pushed their way in front of me.  A few laps later I got back by
them all and then just had to deal with lapped traffic (lapped some 5 or 6
times) and chasing the leaders.  With a few laps to go, my son radioed me that
the RX7 was slowing and to keep charging.  Last lap I passed the RX7 at the
up-hill, taking the EP win.  A 54 year old Triumph outlasted a Mazda and a
BMW.  A Miata was 3rd in EP, 2 laps down.  I also got to my fastest race time
at LRP with a 1:00.762.  This shows that sometimes old British iron (with lots
of fiberglass around it) can win against those with much more power and
technology.

I thought about focusing on more SCCA Nationals, based on this win, but I
don't think that is in the cards for this year.  Will keep developing the car
and perhaps someday get to the Runoffs.  Joe(B)

Refinance Now 4.0% FIXED!
$160,000 Mortgage for $633/mo. Free. No Obligation. Get 4 Quotes!
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/4bf2d7dde2b2c521289st05duc
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html