fot

[Fot] Help Me Obi One...

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Help Me Obi One...
From: malaboge@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 18:23:21 -0400
Fellow parts changers...
Oh I get so disagreeable about the "little stuff".  So I haul out a pair of TR
calipers, a rebuild kit and some new pistons and settle down for a little
"quality time" on the bench.  Everything goes well until I open the no-name
rebuild kit.  The seals seem right, its the right type of dust boot, but why
are there springs in there for the pistons like the kits for the late
calipers!  So I grab another kit off the shelf ...its got the same part #
(Moss 583-001) but this one also has the ole Girling number on the box
(SP2501).  Now I know thats the right Girling number so I figger I'll use this
kit...at least it has no springs in it.  I know I shouldn't have, but I just
couldn't stop myself...the seals in the Girling marked kit are larger than the
no name kit.  The no-namers seem to be the right size for the piston as they
"just" are the same size as the piston od.  Now the Girling marked seals fall
right off the pistons and seem to be a good 1/8" bigger in diameter.  Whats a
poor boy to do?
So, does anyone have a 16pb (the later metric) piston lying around they can
measure?  All the stuff in my shop is the earlier 16p stuff.  I know there are
different part nos for each piston, but are they the same diameter...inquiring
minds want to know...

Anna a nuther thing...why have the stainless pistons gotten heavier?  They're
thicker all over compared to the stockers...

Those are the brakes...
Nick in Nor Cal
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com