fot

Re: [Fot] Trailer Ramp question

To: toodamnfunky@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Trailer Ramp question
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 15:07:02 EDT
In a message dated 05/27/2010 9:03:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
toodamnfunky@comcast.net writes:
> That's 1250 per ramp. That's 2500 combined, only 1/2 the car weight is on
> the ramps at any given moment. My car weighs in at about # 2400. I have a
> 3100 lb corvette that I wouldn't think twice about loading with them.

Interesting.  I revisited the website and see that while a pair of ramps is
shown in the picture, the description is definitely for just one (-1-) and
lists 1,250 lbs as the total weight.  A pair of them would then rate 2,500
lbs and certainly handle my TR3.  I also did not consider that with five foot
ramps while only one set of wheels is on the ramps at any one time, they
are not dealing with the car's total weight.  Now I am using 2x12 white oak
boards with aluminum ends.  They are dressed, or finished so they're a lot
closer to 1 1/2x11 in actual size and 8/4" long.  They are heavy, but I can
still manage them.  My Pace American box trailer does not have a ramp door, but
is quite low to the ground, and with 8'4'" ramps it is easy to push cars
in.

But I must say, those aluminum ramps look very interesting.  The five foot
length would impact the pitch.  Do you use a winch to load?  I have one, but
I almost never use it, as it is a piece of cake for two people to load
without.

Bill Dentinger
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com