fot

Re: [Fot] Rear engine seal on Spitfire, GT6

To: Jason Ostrowski <jason@multivintage.com>, 'Friends of Triumph'
Subject: Re: [Fot] Rear engine seal on Spitfire, GT6
From: Scott Janzen <s.janzen@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:04:36 -0400
I've never tried to replace one on my GT6 with the engine in the car,
but question whether you can get it properly centered from this angle
(unless you have the centering tool, which i don't), and with the oil
pan in place.  Removal and re-installation will disrupt the pan gasket
as well, and I've found the pan/gasket to be a big source of oil leaks
unless my prep was careful and the pan flange straight - lots of
Permatex RTV seems to help.

Let me know if it can be done!  Wondering if you can properly support
the engine and run it without refitting the trans, after a new seal is
installed, to see if it's sealing?  If it's the pan gasket, it won't
leak much except when cornering so this test wouldn't work.

Oil should not damage the clutch, as the oil should be on the front
side of the flywheel away from the clutch, unless there is just that
much oil circulating in the bell housing.