fot

[Fot] Christian Marx' new CRANK SEAL .... AN FOT

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Christian Marx' new CRANK SEAL .... AN FOT
From: n197tr4@cs.com
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:33:18 -0400
OEM SCROLL SEALS: Due to the generous FOT response in supplying seed units for
modified scroll seals, I have 10 scroll seals in process today and will bring
units to Topeka next week. I had tooling produced to fixture these scroll
seals for modification and plan to provide as an exchange item for matched
sets received.  Est. $30 exchange

SEAL HOUSING CENTERING TOOL: Several scroll seals were measured by various
individuals and we came to the conclusion that this dimension is different
than the published dimension in the Factory Manual. Kas' new book discusses
the scroll seal and the dimensions published reflect our findings. Our new
Centering Tools are work in process this week. I will bring those to Topeka.
(This Centering Tool will work in assembly of the stock or modified scroll
seals) Est. $25 Retail

VITON CRANK SEAL: Chris' 2nd Production Run of 50 seals has been delayed
several days and will not make it to Topeka. There are a number of these seals
installed from an initial production run of (50?) One of these was installed
by Steve Yott of ISOA and well documented by ISOA's Bob Streepy as a
comprehensive article for the VTR magazine to be published in the fall.  Est.
Seal Cost  $62-66 depending on exchange rates.....this is a pass through from
Chris to you.

Viton seals are used in high heat, high duty cycle applications. It is my
understanding that the alternative seal is a Land Rover component and is not a
VITON seal.  Chris' new seal design also avoids the cost and time of grinding
the scroll characteristics from the crankshaft. Therefore, the original scroll
functionality remains in place while being backed up by the Viton Seal.

DISTRIBUTION: ARE will distribute in North America as individual components or
in kit form.  We should be ready to ship seal kits and components in less than
30 days.   Est. $125 Retail Kit

Thanks to all who participated in this project. None of us do this stuff
alone. Chris did the thoughtful engineering work on the seal design. ARE just
provided support and encouragement.

Be on the look out for Kas' new book in the fall. There is an entire chapter
on the subject of oil leaks and ventilation in our wet sleeve engines and how
to prevent them.

Kas' next book promises to deliver....whadda legacy we have for our Triumphs.
But you have to do more than look at the pictures. You have to read, too.  :-)
Kas says so.

Chris and Joe
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com