fot

Re: [Fot] CRANKSHAFTS Repairing a cracked crankshaft

To: <n197tr4@cs.com>, "Friends of Triumph" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] CRANKSHAFTS Repairing a cracked crankshaft
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 15:15:29 -0700
There are good crank grinding people who really know what they are doing.
The best of them are able to repair cracks in steel cranks. Some years ago
we rebuilt an AC Ace  6 cylinder engine. This was the single overhead cam
engine designed and built by AC, not the Bristol engine.. The crank had  3
cranks in it. The procedure is to grind the cracked area away until there is
no more cracked material, then weld the crank back up with the proper alloy
steel. The crank is then stress relieved and reheat treated, then reground
to the proper size and configuration. Obviously this is a fairly expensive
procedure and is only worth doing when the crank is an expensive, not easily
replaceable piece.
    The technician who has done this for us in the past is Armando, at
"custom crankshaft repair" in San Mateo. His phone number is 650 342-0568.
He is an expert in the heat treatment of cranks. He has done the best, most
accurate and consistently sized journals we have ever had done. His
timeliness sometimes leaves something to be desired.

                Greg Solow
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html