fot

Re: [Fot] TR frame square, straightness?

To: Greg ''Lunker'' Hilyer <lunkercars@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR frame square, straightness?
From: davehogye <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 02:49:56 +0000 (UTC)
Greg, I stopped by a friends body shop today and it just so happens that he
mentioned the possibility of that "urban myth". He said some cars were set that
way from the factory. He also said that modern specification have a 10mm
tolerance side to side, front to back and diagonally after straightening is
performed.

My frame otherwise looks straight. There are no signs of any obvious bends or
kinks that might suggest being bent from an impact of some sort. There was, as
I said, some badly bent wheels on the car, and the lower front edge of the main
frame rails had some pretty good curb rash. It seems to me that, a hard curb
impact could bend a rail upward a bit, as well as wheel. The problem with
trying to address this issue on a frame machine is that it seems to me as
though the spring tower and lower pin would have to be twisted forward and the
frame rail pulled down. This does not seem reasonable. I am curious as to what
others may have encountered through the years with Triumphs and their frames.
Are there any commonalities? The factory manual shows measuring points from all
angles but has no info regarding specifications and + or - tolerances.

Dave