fot

Re: [Fot] TR4 Rocker Arm Ratio?

To: Rich Rock <rikrock@live.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 Rocker Arm Ratio?
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 10:11:50 -0600
The answer depends on what you mean by rocker ratio.  If you want the
ratio of the maximum valve lift to the maximum cam lift, 1.46 to 1.47 is
a good number.  That is the simple answer and, as you know, I can always
make things more complicated.

First of all, there is compression of the valve train involved.  I call
this valve train squish.  The valve train acts like a big spring. The
amount of squish depends on the spring force and lift. With strong
springs, this could be as much or more than 0.008 in of valve lift.  A
few years ago I did a fairly extensive spreadsheet analysis of rocker
geometry.  I found that the instantaneous rocker ratio varied from 1.47
to 1.49 depending on the lift, lash adjuster location, radius of
curvature of the rocker arm tip, height of the pedestals, etc. Suppose
the average ratio is 1.48 and valve train squish is 0.008, you have a
cam with 0.375 gross lift and 0.012 valve clearance.  The valve lift
will be about  1.48*0.375 - 0.012 - 0.008 = 0.535.  If you don't account
for squish and use 1.46 you would get 0.536.
-Larry

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html