fot

Re: [Fot] standing starts

To: Mike Jackson <grandwazoo@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] standing starts
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 08:39:16 -1000
A lollipop is a handicap race where the cars are distributed in semi-equal
packs around the track (usually five or six packs, depending on track length).
The fastest cars at start, next fastest a bit further and so on until you get
to just before the finish. The start zones are marked by a track worker
holding up a colored disk--hence lollipop. If you are assigned to yellow you
drive around the track until you find the yellow lollipop and line up in a
staggered formation behind the car in front. Cars are released to the track in
reverse order: slowest first, so even within a group the slowest car has some
advantage.

The race is started over the radios--the worker gives two and one minute
warnings, and then when the worker drops the lollipop everyone goes--standing
start. You determine the number of laps by taking the time difference between
fastest and slowest cars and dividing that into the average lap time for the
fastest cars. The fast cars should just be catching the slowest ones when the
race ends.

Personally, I prefer the Australian Pursuit, where each car is flagged off
according to their handicapped time to complete the number of laps. Starting
off two or three laps behind a slow car is really a hoot, especially when you
round the last turn and see fifteen cars in a wad because they've all caught
up.

But lollipop is easier to organize.

Bill
On Feb 15, 2011, at 8:22 AM, Mike Jackson wrote:

> Hey Bill, what's a lollipop race?  VDCA is always looking for new gimmick
race ideas

> Mike Jackson

LeMan

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/grandwazoo@earthlink.net