fot

Re: [Fot] Old race cars

To: Kas Kastner <kaskastner@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Old race cars
From: "Dolan, James J" <jdolan@voyagerhldgs.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 08:36:46 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Cc: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Kas,
I think the passing of traditions and the interest in things with "history"
will pass from our generation to the next one. Think about the interest today
in brass era cars and Big Headlight cars of the 20's and 30's. The folks who
collect and enjoy them are not folks who drove them before or shared/raced
them with the dad.

So although we see an aging crowd in the race paddock (like me) at vintage
events, I see a pretty large sport we are involved in and a lot of cars. It
may have peaked at this point, due to the aging demographic, but there were
700 cars at the SVRA Indy event. There are 200,000 people that attend the week
long Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. That is a lot of people watching TR3 & 4's
on a city street road course. As those events gain traction as "new"
traditions, they bring a new group of participants into the sport.  As a
example, your '72 GT6 will be racing at PVGP next week with my 22 year old
son.

What will be interesting to watch is how the line that separates "vintage"
cars like our Triumphs, from "modern" cars as the line of demarcation slides
up the date curve. Today's Spec Miata is tomorrow's vintage racer, and I doubt
the guys making race history with them today expect some day a guy will have
restored the SCCA National Champion car and proudly race it again.

Sent from my iPad