fot

Re: [Fot] TR? Could hurt your eyes

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR? Could hurt your eyes
From: Duncan Charlton via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 12:02:01 -0600
--===============8442776185772477996==
 boundary="------------090900000303080309030207"

--------------090900000303080309030207

I saw one of the seven built (apparently not three) at the Sinsheim,
Germany transportation museum (someone else's photo here:
http://tinyurl.com/ow57nk7).  It's pretty remarkable when you get next
to it and realize that those are 24" wheels, which are in scale with the
rest of the car.

Duncan
(Texas)

On 3/6/15 10:20 AM, Bill Dentinger via Fot wrote:

>     I kind of like the concept, they just stopped a little short.
>     Picture the same car with some box flairs covering the tires, some
>     panasports instead of those wheels on there currently, and turbo 4
>     or 6 cylinder.......
>
> Amici...
> My instructor at the first Driver's School I ever attended was a guy
> named Hal Ulrich.  He was an ex-SCCA National Champion, and in fact
> had to be one of the first ever, because he raced in all of those
> early USA sports car races through the streets of Elkhart Lake and
> Watkins Glen. He was a hired hot shoe, who drove for 'gentleman'
> sports car owners.  He was a great guy, but I drove him crazy because
> I couldn't double clutch during the sessions, and I was wearing out
> the synchros.  He and his brother Bill ran a 'speed shop' that, back
> in the day, catered to Chicago's 'Gold Coast' (Lake Forest, etc.)
> folks.  His life time experiences were full of exotic cars like Aston
> Martin, Bugatti, Excaliber, Ferrari, etc., but he had a special place
> in his heart for Triumphs (especially the TR2 and TR3).  He told me
> that in the mid to late 1950s they put tons of Chevy V8 engines in
> TR2s and TR3s.  He said they must have done forty or fifty of them.
> Hal is dead now, and I am not sure about Bill.  But these were two
> extremely interesting guys.  When they started telling tales, you
> would end up spell bound.  Bill's lifetime quest was the process of
> developing his own 'Bugatti-like' engine.  Not sure if it ever became
> a physical reality, but I know there was a bunch of people interested
> in it, and being involved financially.  One story Hal told me was
> about the time one of his customers bought one of the three Bugatti
> Royales.  Hal flew out to New Jersey to pick it up, and then drove it
> back to Chicago.  He said mechanically it made the trip with
> no problem whatsoever, except that it was the dead of winter, and the
> car had no heater (at least no working heater).  Those three Royales
> are now, arguably, the most valuable collector cars in the world.
> I am rambling, but my point was that even back in the late 1950s lots
> of people were modifying TR3s. That's my point, my position is, "Shame
> on them!"
> Bill Dentinger

--------------090900000303080309030207

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    I saw one of the seven built (apparently not three) at the Sinsheim,
    Germany transportation museum (someone else's photo here:
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://tinyurl.com/ow57nk7";>http://tinyurl.com/ow57nk7</a>).  It's pretty
remarkable when you get
    next to it and realize that those are 24" wheels, which are in scale
    with the rest of the car.<br>
    Duncan<br>
    (Texas)<br>
      Fot wrote:<br>
      type="cite"><font color="black" face="arial" size="2">
          font-size: 10pt;">
            border-left-width: 2px; border-left-style: solid;">I kind of
            like the concept, they just stopped a little short.  Picture
            the same car with some box flairs covering the tires, some
            panasports instead of those wheels on there currently, and
            turbo 4 or 6 cylinder....... </blockquote>
          font-size: 10pt;">Amici...</div>
          font-size: 10pt;"> </div>
          font-size: 10pt;">My instructor at the first Driver's School I
          ever attended was a guy named Hal Ulrich.  He was an ex-SCCA
          National Champion, and in fact had to be one of the first
          ever, because he raced in all of those early USA sports car
          races through the streets of Elkhart Lake and Watkins Glen.
          He was a hired hot shoe, who drove for 'gentleman' sports car
          owners.  He was a great guy, but I drove him crazy because I
          couldn't double clutch during the sessions, and I was wearing
          out the synchros.  He and his brother Bill ran a 'speed shop'
          that, back in the day, catered to Chicago's 'Gold Coast' (Lake
          Forest, etc.) folks.  His life time experiences were full of
          exotic cars like Aston Martin, Bugatti, Excaliber, Ferrari,
          etc., but he had a special place in his heart for Triumphs
          (especially the TR2 and TR3).  He told me that in the mid to
          late 1950s they put tons of Chevy V8 engines in TR2s and
          TR3s.  He said they must have done forty or fifty of them.</div>
          font-size: 10pt;"> </div>
          font-size: 10pt;">Hal is dead now, and I am not sure about
          Bill.  But these were two extremely interesting guys.  When
          they started telling tales, you would end up spell
          bound.  Bill's lifetime quest was the process of developing
          his own 'Bugatti-like' engine.  Not sure if it ever became a
          physical reality, but I know there was a bunch of people
          interested in it, and being involved financially.  One
          story Hal told me was about the time one of his customers
          bought one of the three Bugatti Royales.  Hal flew out to New
          Jersey to pick it up, and then drove it back to Chicago.  He
          said mechanically it made the trip with no problem whatsoever,
          except that it was the dead of winter, and the car had no
          heater (at least no working heater).  Those three Royales  are
          now, arguably, the most valuable collector cars in the world.</div>
          font-size: 10pt;"> </div>
          font-size: 10pt;">I am rambling, but my point was that even
          back in the late 1950s lots of people were modifying TR3s.
          That's my point, my position is, "Shame on them!"</div>
          font-size: 10pt;"> </div>
          font-size: 10pt;">Bill Dentinger</div>
          font-size: 10pt;">  <br>
          <!-- end of AOLMsgPart_2_8c2ba720-9ada-46f2-8f1d-e2da1c2e3b0c -->
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.fot-racing.com";>http://www.fot-racing.com</a>

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

</pre>

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com