fot

Re: [Fot] Seat belts

To: McKearn McKearn <mckearn2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Seat belts
From: Duncan Charlton <duncan.charlton54@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 00:45:39 -0500
Cc: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail=_3031829C-B233-4567-8D57-A746E5B76C17

PJ,

I can=E2=80=99t find the web link at the moment but several times I have =
installed 3-point harnesses in street-driven Morgans.  These have a =
metal buckle, similar to what you see used on an airline seat but wider. =
 The last two sets I installed had an adjustment strap at the buckle and =
another at the aft end of the shoulder harness (the male part of the =
buckle can be slid along the strap that serves both as shoulder strap =
and as part of the lap belt). I found these with a Google search in the =
past.  You might find them in an online aircraft parts catalog such as =
Wicks or Aircraft Spruce and Specialty =E2=80=94 if looking in an =
aircraft catalog search for the ones without an STC (supplemental type =
certificate) since they cost a lot more but are not necessarily better =
for your needs. =20

Duncan

> On Aug 15, 2015, at 10:29 PM, McKearn McKearn <mckearn2@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> Really John?? What period was that ?
>   I was fine with just a lap belt for  a track day but in order to do =
another their telling me I need to have at least a shoulder restraint =
added.   Does anyone make a good quality three point system that will =
fit our cars?
>  As for a roll cage I completely understand the need and function but =
I have decided not to go much farther with performance upgrades to this =
car. I just feel like it's too nice to chop all up and make a race car. =
I'd much rather buy a car that has been raced or one which is in need of =
restoration that I won't feel bad about chopping up a bit. Prefer GT6 =
but I am considering a TR6 also. Anything out there??
>                       P.J.
>=20
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 8:00 PM, John Hasty <jhasty@mhc-law.com =
> With no roll bar you should consider the period technique... One lap =
belt for you and another on the passenger seat tightly drawn so when you =
flip you can lay down across the seats and grab the passenger lap belt =
and hold on!!!!!
>=20
> Sent from my iPhone
>=20
> On Aug 15, 2015, at 5:35 PM, "McKearn McKearn" <mckearn2@gmail.com =
>=20
> Hi.
>  Thanks for the replies.  I'm thinking a four or five point restraint =
is what I want but getting the attachment points for the shoulder belts =
might be tough. I am considering welding in an attachment bracket =
between the rear fenderwells and keeping it hidden below what I would =
call the rear seat top or cubby hole top or whatever that area behind =
the seat is that currently is carpeted and hides all the junk I put =
behind the seat. I thought 1.5 or 2.0 inch steel tubing with .125 wall =
thickness would be more than plenty and then screwing 7/16 eye bolts to =
it through the carpet as attachment points. That way only the eye bolts =
and the belts will be visible from above. Any thoughts?
<alfetta95@optonline.net =
> Install grade 5 eye hook bolts. Two for the lap belt and two behind =
the drivers seat maybe on the rear bulkhead for the shoulder belts. =
Location is important. Can't be too sharp an angle. I've done this in =
several street/track cars. They work great. The rear hooks on my cars =
were hidden under the rear seat.  Then buy yourself a new 4 pt harness =
with snap in attachments. U are good to go.  If u want to add the 5th =
hook for the anti submarine strap under ur seat, go ahead then get a 5 =
pt harness.
>=20
> Thanks
> Todd Redmond
>=20
> > On Aug 14, 2015, at 11:23 PM, McKearn McKearn <mckearn2@gmail.com =
> >
> > Hi All.
> >   I'm looking to upgrade my stock seat belts(68 GT6,  the tech =
inspector let it slide but told me for the next track day I need to =
improve) but with it being mostly a street car with no roll bar I'm =
limited. Any suggestions?

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/alfetta95@optonline.net =

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/jhasty@mhc-law.com =
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/jhasty@mhc-law.com>
>=20
>=20
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission has been =
sent by a law firm on a legal matter. It may contain information that is =
confidential, privileged, proprietary, or otherwise legally exempt from =
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby =
notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or =
disseminate this message, any part of it, or any attachments. If you =
have received this message in error, please delete this message and any =
attachments from your system without reading the content and notify the =
sender immediately of the inadvertent transmission. There is no intent =
on the part of the sender to waive any privilege, including the =
attorney-client privilege, that may attach to this communication. Thank =
you for your cooperation. 11 U.S.C. 528(a)(4) NOTICE. We are a debt =
relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the =
federal Bankruptcy Code.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/duncan.charlton54@gmail.com
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_3031829C-B233-4567-8D57-A746E5B76C17

charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" =
t find the web link at the moment but several times I have installed =
3-point harnesses in street-driven Morgans. &nbsp;These have a metal =
buckle, similar to what you see used on an airline seat but wider. =
&nbsp;The last two sets I installed had an adjustment strap at the =
buckle and another at the aft end of the shoulder harness (the male part =
of the buckle can be slid along the strap that serves both as shoulder =
strap and as part of the lap belt). I found these with a Google search =
in the past. &nbsp;You might find them in an online aircraft parts =
catalog such as Wicks or Aircraft Spruce and Specialty =E2=80=94 if =
looking in an aircraft catalog search for the ones without an STC =
(supplemental type certificate) since they cost a lot more but are not =
necessarily better for your needs. &nbsp;</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D"">On Aug 15, 2015, at 10:29 PM, McKearn McKearn &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:mckearn2@gmail.com"; class=3D"">mckearn2@gmail.com</a>&gt; =
dir=3D"ltr" class=3D""><div class=3D"">Really John?? What period was =
that ? </div><div class=3D"">&nbsp; I was fine with&nbsp;just a lap belt =
for&nbsp; a track day&nbsp;but in order to do another their telling me I =
need to have at least a shoulder restraint added.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Does =
anyone make a good quality three point system that will fit our =
cars?</div><div class=3D"">&nbsp;As for a roll cage I completely =
understand the need and function but I have decided not to go much =
farther with performance upgrades to this car. I just feel like it's too =
nice to chop all up and make a race car. I'd much rather buy a car that =
has been raced or one which is in need of restoration that I won't feel =
bad about chopping up a bit. Prefer GT6 but I am considering a TR6 also. =
Anything out there??</div><div =
class=3D"">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 8:00 PM, John Hasty <span =
dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jhasty@mhc-law.com"; =
target=3D"_blank" class=3D"">jhasty@mhc-law.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br =
class=3D""><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 =
.8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">With no roll bar you =
should consider the period technique... One lap belt for you and another =
on the passenger seat tightly drawn so when you flip you can lay down =
across the seats and grab the passenger lap belt and hold on!!!!!<br =
class=3D"">
Sent from my iPhone<br class=3D"">
On Aug 15, 2015, at 5:35 PM, "McKearn McKearn" &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:mckearn2@gmail.com"; =
class=3D"">mckearn2@gmail.com</a>&lt;mailto:<a =
href=3D"mailto:mckearn2@gmail.com"; =
class=3D"">mckearn2@gmail.com</a>&gt;&gt; wrote:<br class=3D"">
Hi.<br class=3D"">
&nbsp;Thanks for the replies.&nbsp; I'm thinking a four or five point =
restraint is what I want but getting the attachment points for the =
shoulder belts might be tough. I am considering welding in an attachment =
bracket between the rear fenderwells and keeping it hidden below what I =
would call the rear seat top or cubby hole top or whatever that area =
behind the seat is that currently is carpeted and hides all the junk I =
put behind the seat. I thought 1.5 or 2.0 inch steel tubing with .125 =
wall thickness would be more than plenty and then screwing 7/16 eye =
bolts to it through the carpet as attachment points. That way only the =
eye bolts and the belts will be visible from above. Any thoughts?<br =
class=3D"">
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; =
&nbsp;P.J.<br class=3D"">
On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 11:16 PM, Todd Redmond &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:alfetta95@optonline.net"; =
class=3D"">alfetta95@optonline.net</a>&lt;mailto:<a =
href=3D"mailto:alfetta95@optonline.net"; =
class=3D"">alfetta95@optonline.net</a>&gt;&gt; wrote:<br class=3D"">
Install grade 5 eye hook bolts. Two for the lap belt and two behind the =
drivers seat maybe on the rear bulkhead for the shoulder belts. Location =
is important. Can't be too sharp an angle. I've done this in several =
street/track cars. They work great. The rear hooks on my cars were =
hidden under the rear seat.&nbsp; Then buy yourself a new 4 pt harness =
with snap in attachments. U are good to go.&nbsp; If u want to add the =
5th hook for the anti submarine strap under ur seat, go ahead then get a =
5 pt harness.<br class=3D"">
Thanks<br class=3D"">
Todd Redmond<br class=3D"">
&gt; On Aug 14, 2015, at 11:23 PM, McKearn McKearn &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:mckearn2@gmail.com"; =
class=3D"">mckearn2@gmail.com</a>&lt;mailto:<a =
href=3D"mailto:mckearn2@gmail.com"; =
class=3D"">mckearn2@gmail.com</a>&gt;&gt; wrote:<br class=3D"">
&gt;<br class=3D"">
&gt; Hi All.<br class=3D"">
&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp;I'm looking to upgrade my stock seat belts(68 =
GT6,&nbsp; the tech inspector let it slide but told me for the next =
track day I need to improve) but with it being mostly a street car with =
no roll bar I'm limited. Any suggestions?<br class=3D"">
&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; =
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Thanks. P.J.<br class=3D"">
&gt; _______________________________________________<br class=3D"">
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; =
class=3D"">fot@autox.team.net</a>&lt;mailto:<a =
href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; =

[...]