fot

Re: [Fot] Six cylinder cams

To: duncan.charlton54@gmail.com, cartravel@pobox.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Six cylinder cams
From: fubog1 <fubog1@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 18:03:39 -0400
Cc: mikeandjudypiggott@att.net, fot@autox.team.net

------=_Part_85454_2033600308.1446329019608

Duncan and Larry have nailed it.
It's completely subjective, what is expected out of the engine, HP/torque, =
what is the operating range, and depends on so many other factors, ie cam p=
rofile and phasing, port & valve sizes, CR, intake and exhaust header & pip=
e, carbs etc etc.
Also compression calculations based solely on head thickness aren't really =
accurate, valve depth and head shape vary and affect volume.
A slight lump on top of the pistons into the chamber will get the compressi=
on up without making the head too thin, and won't interfere with flame trav=
el if it's less than .050 or so and the edges are radiused/clearanced.
Another related point is that it's easy to get mechanics red-mist when sele=
cting cam profiles. BTDT, several times actually. Be realistic. A true race=
 engine never operates below 4-5K RPM.
If your working with a TRactor engine, forget about the high revs, take adv=
antage of the stump-pulling (slight exaggeration) torque characteristics th=
at it has.
Glen

=20

=20