fot

Re: [Fot] Ignition System Preferences?

To: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Ignition System Preferences?
From: "Chuck Arnold and/or Kathleen Kelley" <triosan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 07:37:47 -0700
Cc: Friends <fot@autox.team.net>, Joe Guinan <joeg@neb.rr.com>

--001a1141003e972c4d05375d18a8

I use Pertronix dizzy and ignitor II. No problems, but it requires matching
coil. Burns out stock ones.
On Jul 10, 2016 11:41 PM, "Tony Drews" <tony@tonydrews.com> wrote:

> For my TR-4, I'm pretty sure I used Jeff at Advanced Distributors
> http://advanceddistributors.mybisi.com/products/distributors
>
> After discussion with him, he built a Lucas distributor package that used
> points and a Bosch blue coil.  He's very specific about the parts used, a=
nd
> while the spark isn't as accurate as the crankfire setup I replaced, I'm
> extremely happy with it.  Got a spare points plate so it's a quick swap i=
> I have an issue.  Runs to 7k rpm just fine (although I generally shift
> sooner than that).
>
> Regards, Tony Drews
>
> At 09:57 PM 7/7/2016, Joe Guinan wrote:

>> Back in 2005 or so we had a long discussion of distributor problems;
>> broken mechanical advance tabs, junk condensers, and expensive replaceme=
nt
>> parts on the Mallory Dual Point units, worn out parts on Lucas units tha=
>> therefore became ammunition in catapult battles, short life spans and
>> improper phasing for the Pertronix Ignitors, misfires on the MSD units f=
rom
>> low battery charging, etc. I think the =E2=80=9C123 Ignition=E2=80=9D wa=
s just being
>> introduced around that time.
>>
>> So a decade or so later, what have we learned? What=E2=80=99s working we=
ll, and
>> what have you given up on? I=E2=80=99m needing to decide which way to go=
 on my
>> Spitfire. I have a couple Mallory DP=E2=80=99s lying about and several d=
ifferent
>> Lucas units I could send off for refurbishing. I=E2=80=99ve looked at th=
e Pertronix
>> with their rev limiter box, and it seems intriguing. I=E2=80=99ve not he=
ard much
>> about the Pertronix or the 123 systems in racing use.  Knowing what you =
now
>> know =E2=80=93 what would you recommend and what would you steer clear o=
f?

>> The Spitfire will have an 1147 this season, and a 1296 is to be built
>> this next winter. Both will run Kastner A6 cam grinds that I just got ba=
ck
>> from Ted at TSI. I=E2=80=99d look at 7000 rpm as a limit for now. I=E2=
=80=99m almost
>> completely inexperienced in regards to working on ignition systems, so I=
=E2=80=99d
>> like something with a shorter learning curve and a good reputation for
>> reliability.
>>
>> Joe Guinan
>> Fremont, Nebraska

--001a1141003e972c4d05375d18a8

quires matching coil. Burns out stock ones.</p>
 &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tony@tonydrews.com";>tony@tonydrews.com</a>&gt; wrote=
:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin=
:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">For my TR-4, I&#39=
;m pretty sure I used Jeff at Advanced Distributors<br>
l=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://advanceddistributors.mybisi.com/p=
roducts/distributors</a><br>
After discussion with him, he built a Lucas distributor package that used p=
oints and a Bosch blue coil.=C2=A0 He&#39;s very specific about the parts u=
sed, and while the spark isn&#39;t as accurate as the crankfire setup I rep=
laced, I&#39;m extremely happy with it.=C2=A0 Got a spare points plate so i=
t&#39;s a quick swap if I have an issue.=C2=A0 Runs to 7k rpm just fine (al=
though I generally shift sooner than that).<br>
Regards, Tony Drews<br>
At 09:57 PM 7/7/2016, Joe Guinan wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 boundary=3D&quot;----=3D_NextPart_000_0077_01D1=
D89A.984F1DA0&quot;<br>
Back in 2005 or so we had a long discussion of distributor problems; broken=
 mechanical advance tabs, junk condensers, and expensive replacement parts =
on the Mallory Dual Point units, worn out parts on Lucas units that therefo=
re became ammunition in catapult battles, short life spans and improper pha=
sing for the Pertronix Ignitors, misfires on the MSD units from low battery=
 charging, etc. I think the =E2=80=9C123 Ignition=E2=80=9D was just being i=
ntroduced around that time.<br>
So a decade or so later, what have we learned? What=E2=80=99s working well,=
 and what have you given up on? I=E2=80=99m needing to decide which way to =
go on my Spitfire. I have a couple Mallory DP=E2=80=99s lying about and sev=
eral different Lucas units I could send off for refurbishing. I=E2=80=99ve =
looked at the Pertronix with their rev limiter box, and it seems intriguing=
. I=E2=80=99ve not heard much about the Pertronix or the 123 systems in rac=
ing use.=C2=A0 Knowing what you now know =E2=80=93 what would you recommend=
 and what would you steer clear of?<br>
The Spitfire will have an 1147 this season, and a 1296 is to be built this =
next winter. Both will run Kastner A6 cam grinds that I just got back from =
Ted at TSI. I=E2=80=99d look at 7000 rpm as a limit for now. I=E2=80=99m al=
most completely inexperienced in regards to working on ignition systems, so=
 I=E2=80=99d like something with a shorter learning curve and a good reputa=
tion for reliability.<br>
Joe Guinan<br>
Fremont, Nebraska<br>
/a><br>