fot

[Fot] Flywheel studs?

Subject: [Fot] Flywheel studs?
From: pvucinic at netspace.net.au (Peter Vucinic)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 10:59:46 +1000
Mordy,
You will find, especially the ARP variety etc. have a LARGE under head
surface area to increase 'clamping/holding/tension' force. That's opposed to
putting a nut on. Or your back to using a washer under the nut.
The way I see it is, the more components you have in ANY system, the greater
the risk of failure. Now you have 2 threads, stud, nut, washer.

I know 'everyone' is going to say  'But main Caps are done with Studs and
washers etc.' Correct. BUT, you are looking at DIFFERENT force directions
acting in those two applications.

FLYWHEEL - Get a bicycle wheel, hold between hands in horizontal/normal
wheel orientation and get someone to spin it. Then move the wheel 'off axis
and check the massive forces you have to deal with. You have a flywheels
life!

Cheers.....

"You can Make a Small Fortune From Motor Racing. As long as You Started With
A Lage Fortune!"
Kind Regards
Peter Vucinic
TR4 - TR7 V8 - Spitfire MkII