fot

[Fot] Blackhawk/Kastner Cup

Subject: [Fot] Blackhawk/Kastner Cup
From: jsnook at wcnet.org (Jeff Snook)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 17:18:23 -0400
I wanted to share my impressions of the K-Cup race at Blackhawk last
weekend.

First off I it was great to see 8 TR3s take the grid for the race.  In all
my 24 years of TR3 racing I've never seen that many racing at one event!

Sam Halkias in his TR6 was on the pole, took off from the start, and I never
saw him after a few laps.  I was gridded 6th behind Ken Knight who drove a
great race in his TR4 and moved through the pack to finish 2nd!  Jason
Ostrowski in his GT6 was gridded 3rd but I passed him when he slowed up with
mechanical issues (sorry for the problem Jason!).  Allan Washatco was
gridded 2nd in his TR6 and was trying to catch Sam until he spun in T7 and
got stuck behind most of the pack.  Tony Drews in his TR4 was gridded 4th.
I chased him for a number of laps before getting lucky and passing him (T1 I
think).  All of a sudden I'm in 3rd place with Tony and Shawn Alexander on
my butt for the rest of the race.  I tried to lose them in traffic, but they
always came back to fill my mirrors.  There was lots of traffic (31 cars on
a 1.9 mile track) and made for some exciting passes (hope I didn't scare
anyone!).  Down to the last lap and Tony is still in my mirrors.  Entering
T7 (last turn) there is a slower car in front of me.  I took the inside line
to pass him, but Tony saw an opening and passed him on the outside.  Tony
had the momentum coming out of the turn and I lost mine when I cut to the
inside to make the pass.  Next thing I know, Tony is ahead of me on the
outside of the front straight.  I was in the right gear, and I pressed the
gas pedal as hard as I could, but could not catch Tony before the checkered
flag flew.  So Tony made it to the podium and I finished 4th.  GREAT RACE
TONY!  I can't wait to see the video on youtube!!

I missed some of the FOT paddock camaraderie as I ended up getting a garage,
but I didn't miss the soggy paddock every morning after our evening showers!
Thanks Bill Dentinger for keeping my shoes dry!!  The Friday night
festivities were special with Bob Jones there to present Kas with his Hall
of Fame induction award.  Kas could not make the induction ceremony, so Bob
picked it up for him when he was there to receive his.  We are honored to
have two Triumph guys selected for the induction!

Saturday after the race everyone gathered at the FOT tent, mostly all sweaty
and pumped up after 18 hard laps of racing.  Peggy awarded her memorable
mugs for the various Triumph models (Thanks Peggy for my TR3 mug!).  Next
thing I know, Kas mentioned my name and I was awarded the 15th annual K-Cup.
I was floored by his choice as I had won it in 2005.  I guess after all the
years my TR3 is still racing well enough for Kas to take notice.  THANKS
KAS!  And thanks to Glen Efinger and Terry Stetler for keeping my car in tip
top shape!!

I am truly honored and humbled to get the K-Cup for the second time!  Thanks
to all who helped make this a memorable K-Cup weekend.  I'll be at PittRace
next year in July to present the traveling trophy to the next K-Cup winner!

Vroom, Vroom!

Jeff Snook
419-344-0319
www.snooksdreamcars.com