fot

Re: [Fot] Watkins Glen - September

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Watkins Glen - September
From: Bill Tobin via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 08:28:09 -0400
Hi Chris, I'll be there. It's a great track and a lot of fun to drive.

You asked about lodging. The Glen Motor Inn is a traditional place to
stay; great racing history. I've known the owner, Vic, since 1969. He
has many stories about his experiences over the years. Very
entertaining. Also good food at the Inn.

Seneca Lodge is a rustic place with a lot of history too.

The original race course went through town and through the countryside
on public roads, starting in 1948. For the race weekend, on Friday
afternoon/evening, there's a re-enactment or the original race. 150
selected cars are taken from the trace to downtown Watkins Glen and
parked on the street for a couple hours. A large crowd of spectators
gathers and looks at the cars. At 6 o'clock the cars do 2 or 3 laps of
the original course. With a police escort of course! It's a great time
and a lot of fun. Many people, myself included, have said that they
would pay the entry fee for the race just to do the re-enactment!

There is a lot of racing history at Watkins Glen. You will enjoy it I'm
sure.

See you there.

Bill Tobin

Back of the pack TR6. And having fun!