fot

Re: [Fot] Moldex Crankshaft

To: FoTTriumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Moldex Crankshaft
From: Mike Harmuth via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 07:47:36 -0400

--0000000000001bffe005a494c098

I went with a Moldex "ghost main" style crank last year and had to do a
small bit of block relief as well. It wasn't unexpected since this style
crank doesn't have the same profile as a stock crankshaft. I was working
with a "new" block anyway so I had the machine shop do a test fitting
before full prep and it really wasn't a big issue.

mike h

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 6:36 AM yellow04 via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wrote:

> FWIW, the Moldex crank I bought back back in the early 2000's has
> counterweights that foul the webbing in the block as well. I talked to
> Ken Gilanders about it, he said that is what you want, use an angle
> grinder to make notches in the block for clearance. I think you need to
> grind two, maybe three webs.
>
> It is much easier if you remember to do that before you take the block
> to the machine shop and get it cleaned!
>
> On 2020-04-30 18:29, timmmurphh--- via Fot wrote:
> > I ordered a Triumph TR4 billet crankshaft from Moldex by phone from
> > Joe Flowers in June 2017.  I received it in September 2017.  At my
> > next engine rebuild, in March of 2019, I installed the crank in the
> > prepared engine block.  It would not completely rotate as the
> > counterweight hit the engine block.  The counterweights had not been
> > completely machined.  I returned the crank to Moldex after a phone
> > call to Joe Flower to discuss the problem.  In about 2-1/2 weeks I
> > received the crank back.  I finished the engine rebuild, took the
> > engine off the engine stand and proceeded to bolt the flywheel on.
> > Only three of the four tapped holes in the crank were completely
> > tapped.  The fourth had about 2 or 3 threads and that is all. We broke
> > a tap off in the hole trying to manually tap it through. I again
> > called Joe, disassembled the engine, and shipped the crank back to
> > Moldex for completion. I received it back again in about 2-1/2 weeks.
> > Reassembled the engine and raced in three weekends in 2019, no
> > problems.
> >
> > I called Joe in April 2019 and asked to be reimbursed for the $130 in
> > shipping costs to ship the crank back to him for completion, twice.
> > Since April 2019 I have called about 10 times to ask to recover the
> > shipping costs.  Twice I was told a check had been sent.  I have not
> > received the $130 as of this date.
> >
> > This is a cautionary tale for those who are thinking of buying a
> > billet crankshaft from Moldex.

--0000000000001bffe005a494c098

st year and had to do a small bit of block relief as well. It wasn&#39;t un=
expected since this style crank doesn&#39;t=C2=A0have the same profile as a=
 stock crankshaft. I was working with a &quot;new&quot; block anyway so I h=
ad the machine shop do a test fitting before full prep and it really wasn&#=
ail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 6:3=
6 AM yellow04 via Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.t=
margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-lef=
t:1ex">FWIW, the Moldex crank I bought back back in the early 2000&#39;s ha=
s <br>
counterweights that foul the webbing in the block as well. I talked to <br>
Ken Gilanders about it, he said that is what you want, use an angle <br>
grinder to make notches in the block for clearance. I think you need to <br=

grind two, maybe three webs.<br>
It is much easier if you remember to do that before you take the block <br>
to the machine shop and get it cleaned!<br>
On 2020-04-30 18:29, timmmurphh--- via Fot wrote:<br>
&gt; I ordered a Triumph TR4 billet crankshaft from Moldex by phone from<br=

&gt; Joe Flowers in June 2017.=C2=A0 I received it in September 2017.=C2=A0=
 At my<br>
&gt; next engine rebuild, in March of 2019, I installed the crank in the<br=

&gt; prepared engine block.=C2=A0 It would not completely rotate as the<br>
&gt; counterweight hit the engine block.=C2=A0 The counterweights had not b=
een<br>
&gt; completely machined.=C2=A0 I returned the crank to Moldex after a phon=
e<br>
&gt; call to Joe Flower to discuss the problem.=C2=A0 In about 2-1/2 weeks =
I<br>
&gt; received the crank back.=C2=A0 I finished the engine rebuild, took the=
&gt; engine off the engine stand and proceeded to bolt the flywheel on.<br>
&gt; Only three of the four tapped holes in the crank were completely<br>
&gt; tapped.=C2=A0 The fourth had about 2 or 3 threads and that is all. We =
broke<br>
&gt; a tap off in the hole trying to manually tap it through. I again<br>
&gt; called Joe, disassembled the engine, and shipped the crank back to<br>
&gt; Moldex for completion. I received it back again in about 2-1/2 weeks.<=
br>
&gt; Reassembled the engine and raced in three weekends in 2019, no<br>
&gt; problems.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I called Joe in April 2019 and asked to be reimbursed for the $130 in<=
br>
&gt; shipping costs to ship the crank back to him for completion, twice.<br=

&gt; Since April 2019 I have called about 10 times to ask to recover the<br=

&gt; shipping costs.=C2=A0 Twice I was told a check had been sent.=C2=A0 I =
have not<br>
&gt; received the $130 as of this date.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; This is a cautionary tale for those who are thinking of buying a<br>
&gt; billet crankshaft from Moldex.<br>
/a><br>
http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a href=3D"http://www.team.n=
et/pipermail/fotUnsubscribe/Manage" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://www.team.net/pipermail/fot<br>
t/ofracer@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team=
.net/mailman/options/fot/ofracer@gmail.com</a><br>

--0000000000001bffe005a494c098--