fot

Re: [Fot] Hard Question; Kastner Cup

To: Joe Alexander <joealexandervintage@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Hard Question; Kastner Cup
From: Bob Kramer via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 07:40:02 -0500
Cc: Fot <fot@autox.team.net>

--000000000000294f0105a63bef27

The future is a big unknown and having been involved with organizing two
K-Cups I have a couple of observations and one big fear. I'll start the
spit-balling I think and I think that Joe thinks we need to develop a plan
to keep us getting together.

I'll start with the fear because it can be overcome if we face it now. I
ride MS150's. I've done 9 years in a row until this year. Both the Houston/
to Austin and the Dallas to Ft Worth rides were both cancelled this year.
When you do these 180 mile rides it is best to be on a team. The Team I
began riding with is no more. The founder, lead organizer, and
facilitator of the 35 member team passed away a few years ago. It was a
tragic, unexpected loss.  His "Wheels of Love Team" faltered because there
was not a clear path forward. There were some questions as to whether his
wife wanted the team to continue and without his leadership the team has
just faded. It was built around his leadership.We have had that type of
leadership and legacy in the Kastner Cup with Kas and Joe. If we are going
to keep this going we need a leader who can organize and facilitate, and
inspire participation. That person has to have the time and the
wherewithal to do it and the support of the rest of us. We have to want
this to continue and we have to show up to keep it going.

Observations:
Smaller 20 something car events, like the the Hallett and Eagles Canyon
K-Cups are fun but for me, larger participation numbers are even more fun.
We are getting older and some have and others will retire from racing. Will
we continue to have enough racers to keep the K-Cup viable?
We are spread out all across America and unlike Europe, it is
unrealistic to expect us all to get together once a year. Is there a place
we could do that?
If the K-Cup is to be "retired" , what will be the focus of the next "cup".
Should we consider collecting an All British race group like the Euro's do?
We have an obvious turning point after this race. We don't have to try to
do the exact same thing going forward. How else could we keep this going?

Like I said, spit-balling.

Bob Kramer

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 8:30 PM Joe Alexander via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
wrote:

> Fair Question Phil:
>
> =E2=80=9CBest=E2=80=9D.   In our history, some of the Kastner Cups were s=
mall intimate
> events where good friends got together, raced together, and had a good
> time. This can be one of those events.
>
> =E2=80=9CSignificant=E2=80=9D.  We had Kas at Mid-Ohio in 2002. It was th=
e start of
> something very important to many of us. Ideally, =E2=80=9CThe Return to M=
id-Ohio=E2=80=9D
> would have been 2022, but it didn=E2=80=99t seem like a good idea to wait=
 for
> combined anniversary of the 1st Big Triumph event in 1992 (the 50th
> Anniversary of Triumphs in Competition) and the 20th Anniversary of the
> Kastner Cup.
>
> So let=E2=80=99s put =E2=80=9CBest=E2=80=9D and =E2=80=9CSignificant=E2=
=80=9D together and just do it.

> It won=E2=80=99t be the major production that was originally conceived, b=
ut that=E2=80=99s
> out of our control. But we can do what we can to Honor Kas=E2=80=99 Contr=
ibution to
> the Motorsports World, with the people that are able to be there.
>
> It will also be an opportunity for you guys to discuss the future of
> =E2=80=9CTriumph Focus Events=E2=80=9D. It doesn=E2=80=99t have to end at=
 Mid-Ohio. It shouldn=E2=80=99t.
> But it can be re-invented into something very significant. Kastner Cup II=
.

> The FOT and the Kastner Cup has quietly garnered recognition and respect
> on a global level. We have the best and most significant people in the
> sport. When we go to Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, Road America, and
> Mid-Ohio, the GATE is huge. And usually we have more fun than any other
> groups.
>
> So the 18th Running of the Kastner Cup promises to be the Best and most
> Significant.
>
> We have Clark Lincoln=E2=80=99s Poster and Shirt artwork, plenty of room =
in the
> paddock, and our friends at hand.
>
> What more could we ask for. See you there, if you can....all of you.
>
> Joe Alexander
> 4505 Donald Dr
> Cedar Falls, IA 50613
> The-vintage-racer.com
> Gasketinnovations.com
> Cell:  319.464.4711
>

> > On May 21, 2020, at 7:26 PM, Phil Gott via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > =EF=BB=BFI hate to be =E2=80=9Cthe guy,=E2=80=9D but it needs to be ask=
ed: we have been told
> this will be the best and most significant Kastner Cup ever. Under normal
> circumstances, that would be enough for me to go. Prior SVRA events I=E2=
=80=99ve
> attended have been great fun, and I trust the FOT organizers to Pit on a
> great program. But this year is different. SVRA seems to be doing
> everything in its power to minimize viral risks. But there are still risk=
s,
> especially to us =E2=80=9CFOGs.=E2=80=9D
> > A good deal of the fun of these events is the social side, and as far a=
> I can tell ( please correct me if I am wrong) the social aspects have bee=
> canceled as part of mimimixing the health risks.  We will be wearing mask=
> when not in our cars. For me that
> > means spending the weekend looking out through foggy glasses.
> > Yes, this will likely be the most memorable Kastner Cup ever.
> > But the question is: what is planned that will make this the best and
> most significant Kastner Cup ever?
> > Thanks,
> > Phil
> >

> > Sent from my iPhone
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/joealexandervintage@gmail.com

--000000000000294f0105a63bef27

organizing two K-Cups I have a couple of observations=C2=A0and one big fear=
. I&#39;ll start the spit-balling I think and I think that Joe thinks we ne=
rt with the fear because=C2=A0it can be overcome=C2=A0if we face it now. I =
ride MS150&#39;s. I&#39;ve done 9 years in a row until this year. Both the =
Houston/ to Austin and the Dallas to Ft Worth rides were both cancelled thi=
s year.=C2=A0 When you do these 180 mile rides it is best to be on a team. =
The Team I began riding with is no more. The founder, lead organizer, and f=
acilitator=C2=A0of the 35 member team passed away a few years ago. It was a=
 tragic, unexpected loss.=C2=A0 His &quot;Wheels of Love Team&quot; faltere=
d because there was not a clear path forward. There were some questions=C2=
=A0as to whether=C2=A0his wife wanted the team to continue and without=C2=
=A0his leadership the team has just faded. It was built around=C2=A0his lea=
dership.We have had that type of leadership and legacy in the Kastner Cup w=
ith Kas and Joe. If we are going to keep this going we need a leader who ca=
n organize and facilitate, and inspire participation. That person has to ha=
ve the time and the wherewithal=C2=A0to do it and the support of the rest o=
f us. We have to want this to continue and we have to show up to keep it go=
car events, like the the Hallett and Eagles Canyon K-Cups are fun but for m=
e, larger participation numbers are even more fun.=C2=A0=C2=A0<br></div><di=
v>We are getting older and some have and others will retire from racing. Wi=
ll we continue to have enough racers to keep the K-Cup viable?</div><div>We=
 are spread out all across America and unlike Europe, it is unrealistic=C2=
=A0to expect us all to get together=C2=A0once a year. Is there a place we c=
; , what will be the focus of the next &quot;cup&quot;. Should we consider =
collecting an All British race group like the Euro&#39;s do?</div><div>We h=
ave an obvious turning point after this race. We don&#39;t have to try to d=
o the exact same thing going=C2=A0forward. How else could we keep this goin=
ss=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 8:30 PM Joe Alexander via Fot &lt=
;<a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br=
border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Fair Question Phil=
:<br>
=E2=80=9CBest=E2=80=9D.=C2=A0 =C2=A0In our history, some of the Kastner Cup=
s were small intimate events where good friends got together, raced togethe=
r, and had a good time. This can be one of those events.<br>
=E2=80=9CSignificant=E2=80=9D.=C2=A0 We had Kas at Mid-Ohio in 2002. It was=
 the start of something very important to many of us. Ideally, =E2=80=9CThe=
 Return to Mid-Ohio=E2=80=9D would have been 2022, but it didn=E2=80=99t se=
em like a good idea to wait for combined anniversary of the 1st Big Triumph=
 event in 1992 (the 50th Anniversary of Triumphs in Competition) and the 20=
th Anniversary of the Kastner Cup.<br>
So let=E2=80=99s put =E2=80=9CBest=E2=80=9D and =E2=80=9CSignificant=E2=80=
=9D together and just do it. <br>
It won=E2=80=99t be the major production that was originally conceived, but=
 that=E2=80=99s out of our control. But we can do what we can to Honor Kas=
=E2=80=99 Contribution to the Motorsports World, with the people that are a=
ble to be there.<br>
It will also be an opportunity for you guys to discuss the future of =E2=80=
=9CTriumph Focus Events=E2=80=9D. It doesn=E2=80=99t have to end at Mid-Ohi=
o. It shouldn=E2=80=99t. But it can be re-invented into something very sign=
ificant. Kastner Cup II.<br>
The FOT and the Kastner Cup has quietly garnered recognition and respect on=
 a global level. We have the best and most significant people in the sport.=
 When we go to Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, Road America, and Mid-Ohio, the =
GATE is huge. And usually we have more fun than any other groups.<br>
So the 18th Running of the Kastner Cup promises to be the Best and most Sig=
nificant.<br>
We have Clark Lincoln=E2=80=99s Poster and Shirt artwork, plenty of room in=
 the paddock, and our friends at hand. <br>
What more could we ask for. See you there, if you can....all of you.<br>
Joe Alexander<br>
4505 Donald Dr<br>
Cedar Falls, IA 50613<br>
The-vintage-racer.com<br>
Gasketinnovations.com<br>
Cell:=C2=A0 319.464.4711<br>
&gt; On May 21, 2020, at 7:26 PM, Phil Gott via Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:f=
ot@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; =EF=BB=BFI hate to be =E2=80=9Cthe guy,=E2=80=9D but it needs to be as=
ked: we have been told this will be the best and most significant Kastner C=
up ever. Under normal circumstances, that would be enough for me to go. Pri=
or SVRA events I=E2=80=99ve attended have been great fun, and I trust the F=
OT organizers to Pit on a great program. But this year is different. SVRA s=
eems to be doing everything in its power to minimize viral risks. But there=
 are still risks, especially to us =E2=80=9CFOGs.=E2=80=9D<br>
&gt; A good deal of the fun of these events is the social side, and as far =
as I can tell ( please correct me if I am wrong) the social aspects have be=
en canceled as part of mimimixing the health risks.=C2=A0 We will be wearin=
g masks when not in our cars. For me that<br>
&gt; means spending the weekend looking out through foggy glasses.<br>
&gt; Yes, this will likely be the most memorable Kastner Cup ever.<br>
&gt; But the question is: what is planned that will make this the best and =
most significant Kastner Cup ever?<br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt; Phil<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Sent from my iPhone<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">fot@autox.team=
.net</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_bl=
ank">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" =
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a href=3D"http://www.t=
eam.net/pipermail/fot" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team=
.net/pipermail/fot</a><br>
&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/f=
ot/joealexandervintage@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http=
://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/joealexandervintage@gmail.com</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
/a><br>
http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a href=3D"http://www.team.n=
et/pipermail/fotUnsubscribe/Manage" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://www.team.net/pipermail/fot<br>
t/rkramer56@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.te=
am.net/mailman/options/fot/rkramer56@gmail.com</a><br>

--000000000000294f0105a63bef27--