Re: G-Dyno

To: Brian Kennedy <Kennedy@computer.org>
Subject: Re: G-Dyno
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:01:40 -0700
It's straight forward enough to use the HP gage, which is available as a
free download from the website.  Just install it and use it like any
other gage.  If you have a burning desire to do some math, setup the
Tach gage while you are at it, and you can use it with the HP gage to
compute Torque.

Now go do a clean dyno style run, just as you would if you were using a
G-Tech.  I recommend starting off from zero fairly gently and slipping
into second gear as soon as possible, then pulling full throttle from
low rpm to full redline in one full throttle run.  This helps eliminate
any losses from turns, or weirdness from the clutch drop, etc.

The result is a run where you can click on each tick of the run to see
the HP at that point, and compare it to the tach.  Note that with GEEZ
you can set the HP to compensate (or not) for the rolling resistance, as
well as driveline drag and even some aero drag.  How much of this you
choose to dial in is up to you.  (As opposed to the G-Tech where you
have no idea what you are getting, at what RPM it was computed, or what
factors they used for "correction".)

I mentioned Torque.  Here's how you get that.  If you want to see a
torque curve, just record the HP and Tach @ each tick, then take the
(HP/RPM) * 5251 and you get torque.  You can plot this together with the
HP if you want, to show both on a chart.

This graphing and calculating torque is essentially what's missing from
GEEZ that is contemplated for G-Dyno.  GEEZ already does much more than
the single HP number offered by G-Tech.  But if you want even more, and
have a desire to do some math and some graphing, and you have everything
you get from a trip to your local Dynajet.  And just like a trip to your
local Dynajet, it pays to be meticulous in your methodology.

Hope this helps!

--Byron