Re: Range Check error?

To: geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Range Check error?
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 19:47:50 -0700
Hey Larry,

If I recall correctly, here's the most likely culprits:

1.  Go to Setup | Data and make sure that you have a check in the box
for "Display Raw Unadjusted Data".  This is the default value.  The
"adjusted data" method was mostly for doing some geeky program
verification, and doesn't work well in the real world.

2.  Check to verify that your Palm had a valid calibration string on it
when you did the recording.  A valid calibration string will contain a 1
followed by 4 sets of alpha-numerics.  Each "set" will start with either
A or B, then be followed by a number.  The numbers should generally be
less than about 200, but in no case over 1000 or anything wacky like
that.  A valid string looks like this:

 1B3A24B86A116

A not so valid string might look like this:

 1B1266B1238B1341B1187

Note that the values are all right around 1250 or so in my bad example,
which generally indicates that the calibration was done without ever
laying the cube on it's sides.  If you see numbers around 2500 that
indicates the calibration was done with the cube on the opposite side
(left when it should have been right).

Anyway, having a bad calibration string will make the program go boom
everytime.
3.  If it's neither of the above, then I would look for either a bad
piece of data in the download from Palm to PC (but this isn't too likely
to occur on more than one run..heck it's very rare on any run at all!)
or a high vibration occuring right Press of the Start or AutoStart,
which is when the Palm runs it's own 1/2 second zero calibration.
Again, I find this unlikely with an experienced user, but if you did
something different from normal, you might think through retracing your
steps.
Mostly I would expect one of the first two.  Write back to the list and
let us know what you find.

--Byron

The MacLeods wrote:

    I get this Range-Check-Error when I try to view any of my runs I
    recorded today.  Has anyone ever had that before, and is there a way
    to fix the data file to make it usable?

    FYI, I use a Palm m105 that's worked in the past to record runs.
    Batteries were fresh in both the power supply and the palm.  And I
    was recording runs in an F125 shifter on a bumpy site.  But I had
    the usual provisions in place (towels, foam, pouch, etc...).

    Any help is appreciated.

    -Larry MacLeod