Re: collapsible steering column

To: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Subject: Re: collapsible steering column
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 13:05:14 -0600
Allen,

I have seen it in their catalog & wondered about it. The thought of
being speared by the column causes me to be very aware of the need to
avoid front end impacts. It seems like a good idea but pretty costly.

Lets face it, the cars are not very safe by todays standards. There are
other possibilities just as bad. If you get upside down the windshield
is certainly not going to keep the whole top half of your body from
getting mashed. A side impact will for sure get you. A rear end impact
is very likely to rupture the fuel tank. In fact, M. Salter told of a
car self igniting & exploding in a ball of fire due to some sort of
electrical/fuel tank malfunction. This may be one of the cars that it
would be better to be thrown out of than to be belted in, if you run
into trouble or trouble runs into you. You have a serious problem either
way.

Still - I consider it to be no more dangerous than the motorcycle I ride
& so pay attention & drive very defensively. We haven't even considered
the tremendous costs to repair even a minor fender bender, due to the
delicate nature of the cars construction & materials. Even a very slight
bumper bump will bend something expensive.

All of this being said, I have never heard or read a story of anyone
actually being speared by the steering column. I certainly would like to
hear more on the subject.

Dave Russell
BN2