Thanks Mike Salter

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thanks Mike Salter
From: "Mark and kathy LaPierre" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:16:09 -0500
    Thanks Mike for redeeming my faith in the Healey gear boxes, somewhat
anyway.   I will now retrieve some of the gears that I have previously cast
aside into the DOA box.   I have several of the gears that you have
mentioned and really thought they were NFG, (not fery good)  and was going
to use them for a tutorial trany for our club or friends.
    Also you mentioned the pads that were positioned in the bellhousing and
the O/D plate to cushion the selector forks.   I wasn't aware that there was
one in the O/D plate, was this for all versions of the 6 cylinder tranys?
FWIW,  I tried  shifting when I had my trany on the bench, with and without
the pad in the bell housing and it really does keep the selector rods and
forks from moving too far into the other  gears.  So needless to say they do
serve a rather important purpose and I'm surprised that they aren't
mentioned more often in rebuild procedures.  And I'm also surprised that
there hasn't been one of these pads in place in any of the  5 boxes that I
have taken apart.
Where do they go?

    I'm curious what material members have used for these pads. I personally
used a couple of pieces of sticky back vinyl flooring that is easily cut and
should stand up to the impact for quite sometime.(fingers crossed)

Mark