Progress forward .. BJ8 Resto

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Progress forward .. BJ8 Resto
From: James Sailer <heliskier@direcway.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:16:12 -0600
Greetings all..

Well progress is back in the forward direction...

I have rebuilt my master (after A.... H.... resleeved it and from what I can
tell did nothing else to rebuild the plunger!) ...   My oil leaks still
persist (cold about 2 drips/day) but it appears after much fiddling and
observation that it is the front and rear of the pan (under the center line)
that leak..  so I will be installing a new pan gasket .. (I mean really this
is only a project)..

My new wiring harness is in  (after a short in a tailight before the car
even hit the road did some damage to the prior new harness) ..  I have
in-line fuses now ..  my tach is back from MO-MA .. now electronic negative
earth for electronic ignition...

The machinist who has been helping me out came by this morning with my new
shift lever for my smitty conversion..  I had him make me a duplicate of the
original shifter only welded on top (and set back 1 inch) of the toyota
shift lever base.  Looks perfectly origoinal..  centered on the boot (but
1.5 inches shorter as specified to get shorter throw...) ..... It goes off
to get chromed like original in a few weeks...

As we sat there (and as the machinist friend assured me that the overall job
was great)..  he offered that next winter we should add headers, machine a
new intake manifold, and install fuels injectors, a cold air intake system
(possibly a turbo) and an electronic engine management system ..... not
cutting or welding.... hmmmmm..  now this just sounds like fun!...

Off to traavel and work for a few weeks then home again and hopefully get
her a step closer to the road...

Jim Sailer 66 BJ8