overdrive wiring

To: "healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: overdrive wiring
From: "James Shope" <healeymanjim@JoiMail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:40:00 -0700
i may have found the source of my problem, but am still confused.  both don
and dave sent me diagrams and/or messages that say the black wire goes on W2
of the relay.  my wiring diagram from my haynes book on page 177 shows W1 with
the black wire and W2 with the white/purple.  the black wire is short and
closest to the fuse holder, and W1 is also closest to the fuse holder.  the
throttle switch is energized throughout its range until it it rotated clear to
the top.  the relay appears ok because it clicks audibly and i can feel the
vibration when i remove and replace the  hot lead.  i have the feeling the
haynes book may be wrong, because i also had a problem with the headlights.
the wiring diagram for the dimming switch was different from what i finally
made work correctly.  any advice will be appreciated.  healeymanjim