Clutch slave

To: "Healeys \(E-mail\)" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch slave
From: "Alex" <alexmm@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:02:21 -0400
Lately, my trusty ol' Mk 1 has been getting difficult to shift, so I decided
it was time to follow Norman Nock's expert advice, and bleed my clutch
hydraulics.

Fabricating the offset 7/16th box wrench described on page 207 0f Norman's
tech notes book, I put the Blue Meanie up on ramps today and bled the slave
cylinder. Luck was with me, as a town arborist arrived about ten minutes
after I started, to inspect some trees. He was ogling the car, so I put him
to work pumping the clutch pedal.

In any case, my car shifts really smoothly now. It's like driving a new
machine. Tonight was a cool clear evening here in southern Maine, and it was
especially delightful to breeze along some of the back roads with the top
down, effortlessly slipping from gear to gear as needed.

However, I was unable to fit a hose to the tiny slave cylinder nipple
earlier. I have small hands, but I was still unable to get into a suitable
work position to put a piece of hose over the nipple (yup, wound up doing it
the sloppy way, catching the fluid in a pie tin). Unfortunately, without a
hose and a jar you can't see any bubbles, and have no way to determine how
much air was trapped---which would sorta be nice to know.

Can anybody comment on what kind of tubing works best, and how in blazes do
you get in there to put it over the bleeder screw?

 ==  Alex in Maine
     1960 BT7 "Blue Mainie"
     Former owner 1957 100-6, 1967 BJ8
     Amateur Radio AI2Q