Re: Question on Rear Tail Lights

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question on Rear Tail Lights
From: Jwhlyadv@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:12:29 EDT
I recently installed a set that the Street Rodders all rave about. It is a 28
led bulb that has a 1157 base. I saw it at a Street Rod swap meet and the
display was impressive, much brighter than a standard 1157. Much higher quality
than the type sold at most retailers and pricey at $27 per bulb.

I installed it on the BJ8. the BJ8 has a larger lens cover than the other
cars and I'm not sure this would fit under a roadster lens.  The base consists
of
a circuit board and 28 LED's and is quite large.

The typical 1157 bulb has a metal base and then the glass tapers up to the
rounded bulb. This LED has a standard 1157 metal base and then a metal base for
the LED's that is 90 degrees to the 1157 base, sort of a T shape and not
tapered.

 On the BJ8 I had to remove the standard 1157 socket and install a new one
closer to the metal base of the lens cover in order to make the clearance work.

The effect is a brighter stop light which provides more safety. However the
light is directed straight back, the proper direction for safety but it gives
the lens an odd glow. Where the standard 1157 would fill the lens with light
and make it "glow," this LED light only points straight back. So from behind
the
stop light is brighter but the running light is less effective.

It wasn't worth the time and money.

Thanks,

Jim Werner
Louisville, KY

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
aolbn43.jpg]