Re: Fwd: Re: Brake Drum Balancing

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Brake Drum Balancing
From: Dave Carpenter <d.carpenter7@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 23:33:27 -0400
Don't know about other drums, but mine have four or so ribs around the
outside on a wire wheel BJ8. This would make turning the outer side
difficult. I have a guy with a brake lathe at his house that is willing
to give it a go. The lathe tool  will flip to the outside, so we're
going to take a look when I can get a drum off and run it over to him. I
guess if we keep turning until the tool touches all the way round, we
have the right amount removed. I'll keep you posted.  With all the talk
of balance and turning, one has to wonder why not just buy new drums?
New ones are cheaper and easier than all this work. Is it a quality
issue on the new ones, or are we obsessed with keeping it original.

Dave