Re: Diff Ratio

To: Lyle Matson <medlabinc@msn.com>, Healey List
Subject: Re: Diff Ratio
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:46:29 -0700
Dick:

I've seen various different stamp markings on diffs in addition to the basic
2 numbers, which represent the number of teeth on the crown wheel and
pinion - hence the ratio.  The 'T' may have had some significance to the
manufacturing process, or the vehicle that the diff was installed into (eg.
Healey, Wolesley, Westminster, etc), or almost anything else!  Maybe some
other lister could shed some light on this.

Your diffs' tooth count is the common one, the 3:91 ratio, used on all 3000
overdrive cars, and on 100-6 non-overdrive cars.  The overdrive early cars
used the 4:1 ratio, and the later non-overdrive cars used the 3:545 ratio.
Bear in mind that the overdrive gearing changed from 28% in the 100-6 to 22%
in the 3000's, and that the speedometer gearing was adjusted accordingly as
necessary.

You don't indicate which model Healey you have, but it is probable that
unless someone has made some significant changes at some point, it is as it
was built.  These days, many Healey owners do make gearing changes - eg: to
a 28% overdrive ratio in the later car, or to a 3:545 diff in an overdrive
car, or one that has a Smitty  Toyota 5-speed conversion.  It can be a bit
confusing!

Hope this at least partially answers your question.  Any other information
you need, please don't hesitate.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb