Car Stopped Puzzle - confused

To: kags@shaw.ca, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Car Stopped Puzzle - confused
From: pdeturck@rochester.rr.com
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 22:22:09 -0400
Earl and others -
You wrote:

 >The white/black wire at the distributor runs directly back to the battery
 >master switch. (if your car is wired as original, which I believe it is).
 >It's purpose - to ground the ignition when the switch is in the 'off'
 >position.  Never could figure out the reasoning for grounding the ignition
 >when the switch is in the 'off' position anyway.

I agree with this statement. I always assumed that if the CUTOFF switch
was ON, it meant the circuit was CUTOFF. And so if the CUTOFF was OFF,
then a connection still existed.  Go figure!

 >If the switch fails internally (still allowing power to the car), or if the
 >wire grounds anywhere along it's length - no spark.

This where my confusion begins.  If the switch fails internally, what POWER
does it provide to the car? Or if the wire grounds anywhere along its length,
isn't that the same as running correctly through the cutoff switch to ground?
It seems to me that a short to ground in the black/white wire would allow for
the coil to work properly and still provide a spark.  What am I missing?

I could see an intermittent short to ground causing eratic conditions which
would
likely prevent proper ignition, but a continuous short to ground anywhere would
still enable the coil.
-pd-