Lighting Puzzle

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lighting Puzzle
From: "Fred Wescoe" <fredwescoe@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 07:47:20 -0400
Ok guys, here is a puzzle I have been trying ot sort out.

I am trying to install lights in the reflectors of my BJ7.  I am using a GE
1034 bulb in the tail light assembly.  I have wired the refelector bulb to the
red wire of the tail light (plus ground).  The wiring diagram shows this as
the parking and stop light wire.

The reflector bulb lights only when the parking light is on, not when the
brake pedal is pressed.  With the reflector light in or out of the circuit,
when the brake pedal is pressed, only the small element of the GE bulb lights.
When the parking lights are on, the same small element is on and if the brake
pedal is pressed, the small element is the only one on.

When the turn signal is on (parking lights off), the large element blinks.  If
the brake pedal is pressed at the same time, only the opposite side brake
light is lighted.

I am trying to get the reflector bulb to light with the brake pedal.  Am I
using the correct tail light bulb?  It seems to me that the large element of
the bulb should work with the brake pedal, not the small one.

Any ideas on the wiring and the correct bulb?

Fred
63 BJ7