RE: Driving the car without a stator tube

To: <bighealey@charter.net>, <Healeyguy@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Driving the car without a stator tube
From: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 22:54:51 -0500
Wow, I got a bunch of responses, thanks guys!!!  I neglected to say the
reason the stator tube was not the car in was not that I didn't have a
stator tube, but I have misplaced my nut and olive (that sounds bad...).

I have a brand new stator tube, and a beautifully rebuilt trafficator
(thanks to John for the core and Curt Arndt for the restoration)  Almost all
of you said I still needed the Olive and Nut, so I spent an hour looking for
the little envelope that I put them in but couldn't find last weekend.  This
time I found them!!!!

With the help of my lovely wife, the entire assembly is in, and only lacks
the set screws for the trafficator on the steering wheel (I never had
those).  I am going to wrap the wires back for now as I may have to pull the
whole shebang out again if I can find the money for one of Mark Lempert's
wheels!!!

I was going to drive it to the Gulf Coast Healey Meeting in the morning, but
I looked and the gear oil I have is SAE 80W90, the shop manual calls for SAE
90 so I guess I will have to pick some up tomorrow after the meeting.

There was nothing keeping the gear oil in the steering box when I got the
car so I have to assume that it was dry when I got the car.  Unfortunately,
I had driven it about hundred miles before I figured this out, so I do not
want to risk any extra wear on it before I remedy that situation

Patton

Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX
'57 A-H 100-Six - http://Austin-Healeys.com