RE: Overdrive jumping out

To: "mike brooks" <hypercubic@yahoo.co.uk>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Overdrive jumping out
From: "Frenken, Eric" <efrenken@lctax.de>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:11:18 +0200
Hi Mike,

I agree with you except for one point. The throttle switch doesn't hold the O/D
at low revs. Kicking out O/D only depends on position of throttle. What I want
to say is when you drive at around 30mph in fourth gear O/D (thus meaning at
very low revs) with overdrive switch in 'normal' position the overdrive kicks
out by depressing the throttle pedal, regardless of the revs the engine is
doing. Maybe that is what you wanted to say, just wanted to clarify things up.

Regards

Eric            BT7
Heinsberg, Germany

Hi, Simon and Dave,

I just had to look at mine on my BN2. I agree with Dave that the problem is not
the throttle switch directly. The reason I say this is that all the throttIe
switch does is to hold in the contacts C1 and C2 at low revs, with the O/D
switch off. The overdrive relay has to energise first in order to initially
close C1 and C2.  IMHO it must be a wiring error for the O/D to come in at all
without the overdrive relay coil energising. If someone has bypassed the O/D
relay such that the power goes  to the O/D solenoid via the throttle switch
only, this would give the symptoms you describe [although I think 1900 revs is
too high for the throttle swich opning setting -shouldn't it be about 1/5th
throttle?]

I added this in the hopes it would hlep rather than confuse!!

Best regards

Mike