Re: BN7 top bow

To: "James Lea" <clocks@midcoast.com>,
Subject: Re: BN7 top bow
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 22:23:27 -0400
James,
Ouch, I don't have one here right now to refer to so I can't quote exact
dimensions.
Where did you get this preinstalled hood already on the front bow? How do you
know it will fit your car? Do you have your correct latch assemblies?
I'd like to presume the manufacturer that made your assembly has installed the
T nuts before trimming it. (too much to pray for??)<grin> These T nuts are
counterbored in from the front so the latch screws will be pulling the nuts
further into the wood (compression load on the wood) as the pull from the back
side. You might feel through the vinyl where the counterbores are located.
You might be able to detect the holes where the T nuts lay hidden by piercing
carefully with a needle from the back side about where you think the latches
should mount. If you are sitting in the car with the bow sitting in position
across the top of the windscreen try estimating where the latch assembly will
be positioned and try to find the holes.
On the chance that the manufacturer didn't install these T nuts and you have
to resort to wood screws, it probably won't be as strong a setup as it should
be. There's a lot of tension on those T nuts and that's why they were
installed from the front.
let me know how you make out.
Rich Chrysler