Re: Front splined hub wear

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front splined hub wear
From: James Wilson <snaggle2th_gb@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 16:17:14 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Joe:

On my 1967 BJ8 I found that both left side hubs were worn. I presume the wheel
was worn too and that subsequently rotating the tires may have caused both
front and rear to have problems.

I attach photos showing the wear to the "drive" splines. Needless to say I've
acquired new hubs to replace these.

A visual check of the hubs should show "triangular" splines with even sides the
same dimension. In the photo you'll plainly see that the teeth are worn so that
one side is long and the other much shorter. Its still a triangle, but with
unequal sides. It would seem that roughly 1/3 of the height of the spline had
been worn away.

Feeling the teeth too should show them to be rougher than unworn splines. You
may also check the hub-wheel fit too to see how snug that may be.

If your hubs are worn it is advisable to also inspect the wheels for wear for
they too may be affected. It can then be an expensive problem to fix if both
hubs and wheels are worn.

How much wear is tolerable? So far as I know the hubs shown were still being
driven on, but I'd say they were unsafe. I thought a height 2/3 of the spline's
original wasn't enough. Others with more expertise may offer a more authorative
opinion on that.

I trust this helps.

James.

joe mulqueen <joemulqueen@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello,
A general question - how much do front splined hubs
wear? I know the rears get beat from power train
torquing but what have people found on 40+ yr front
hubs?
Thanks for any comments,
Joe Mulqueen
'60 BT7