more on axle shims

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: more on axle shims
From: Dave Carpenter <d.carpenter7@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 23:01:41 -0400
Or should it say moron? I changed the hubs on the front of the BJ8 and
found the previous mechanic  had no shims in place. The nut was just
more than finger tight when I took it off. I had bought some of the
thinner shims to have on hand, but not enough, so I salvaged some from
some spare spindles off a BJ8 wreck. In case you have no shims in your
car, start with one .030, one .010 and one .005. That's what was in both
spares spindles and worked perfectly in the new hubs (after some trial
and error fitting with the new shims a thousandth or two each side to
check for best fit).

Side note, the dust shield and rotor on the right side have severe flat
spots worn, showing the car must have lost a wheel at some point. Can't
wait to ask the PO next time I talk to him.

Dave
67 BJ8
60 BT7 (much assembly required)