Re: Transmission oil recommendation

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission oil recommendation
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 19:06:25 -0700
Michael:

Sorry, I missed the first post - was temporarily unsubscribed.

I urge you to use caution when using any gearbox oil other than what the
factory specified.  A lot of people have had serious problems with their
overdrives when attempting making changes - some of these products use
friction reducing additives which are dynamite for the overdrive's cone
clutch - remember that the gearbox and overdrive units share the oil.

Many of us are using the Redline product (either MTL or MT90) because we
know it works.  I use Redline's MTL in both the BT7 (completely stock), and
the BJ8 (Toyota 5-speed conversion).  As well, I used it in a now sold MGB
daily driver, which was overdrive equipped.  Redline's product uses a
friction enhancing additive, which is why it works well in Healey's with
overdrives.

I don't know about the BG product that Dean mentions - if it is equivalent
to Redline's product, it should be fine, but I assumed from the post that
Dean has not used it in an overdrive equipped car.

Use caution - if in doubt, the best advice I can give you is to stick with
what the factory recommended.  (I have no doubt that I may get a lot of
flack on this!)

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb