RE: Disc thickness and torque questions

To: "'Heard Saxon'" <heard@datatrontech.net>,
Subject: RE: Disc thickness and torque questions
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 09:36:38 -0400
Heard,
I can't help much with the establishment of central depository for
information but a search in the archives under "disc thickness" produced
this, which I sent to the list some time back.
"The minimum disc thickness of .335in (8.51mm) referred to in Section
MMM7 of your Workshop Manual applies to cars fitted with the earlier
Girling 14 brakes. These brakes used 0.375 in thick rotors and were
discontinued at car number HBJ8 26705.
Your car HBJ8 29432 should be fitted with Girling 16 brakes. (The brake
model is cast on the outside of the caliper).
The Girling 16 brake used 0.500 (12.7mm) in thick rotors. The minimum
thickness for your rotors, assuming that the correct brakes are still
fitted to the car, is 0.450 in (11.4 mm). If yours are less than 11mm I
would recommend new rotors."

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com