RE: starting problem

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: starting problem
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 19:53:41 -0500
agree with jerry re cleaning the battery wires - also make sure you do
this at the starter solenoid end, too. Even if the connections look
clean, get them bright and shiny with fine sandpaper, steel wool, etc.,
and coat the posts with a thin layer of petroleum jelly. The nuts should
have small plain washers (I believe) to ensure a tight connection, also
helps to keep water out of it.

I had similar symptoms with my BJ7, and the starter terminals were the
problem. It sounds like you're getting enough juice to activate the
solenoid, but not enough to drive the starter.

-Graham