Re: Burning up rotors - plus tech tip to get home!!! Long!

To: BlkBT7@aol.com, kpdii@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Burning up rotors - plus tech tip to get home!!! Long!
From: Jwhlyadv@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 10:57:01 EDT
A followup to Bob Browns theory of maybe another cause for rotor failure.

My BJ8 Lucas 25d distributor always (25 years) had a piece missing around the
base of the distributor where the hold down clamp attaches. This is caused by
the previous owner using excessive force when tightening the clamp. After 25
years the distributor body itself suddenly cracked and I limped home with the
distributor duct taped together. So look for cracks in the distributor body on
a 25D that lead to up and down movement. This distributor had excessive side
play but had never broken a rotor.

The remedy was to use a NOS Sprite 25D Distributor ($25 at a swap met) and
change it over to a six cylinder configuration. That worked great for two years
until a miss occurred. Turns out when assembling the distributor I had failed
to install the screw at the top of the shaft that holds the cam down. Again I
had up and down movement and had worn the rubbing block of the points at an
angle but never broken a rotor.

A fellow BJ8 owner had a problem with rotors and I gave her a vintage Lucas
rotor known to work fine and even that one burned up. The problem was finally
traced to a new set of plug wires that were defective. The theory was the new
wires carried so much resistance that instead of the rotor passing the voltage
to the plug wire it burned the rotor.

Nothing conclusive in my statements but maybe something to look

Thanks,

Jim Werner
Louisville, KY

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
aolbn43.jpg]