Re: how much can you take off the top of a piston?

To: "Chris Dimmock" <cd3000@bigpond.net.au>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: how much can you take off the top of a piston?
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:21:38 -0500
Okay lets cover another side note on this one...

The rings need to be down in the hole about .100 as a minimum when your
through... ( they will likey be Much farther then that )

A common mistake at Bonneville is to try and get the last degree of
compression by moving the upper compression ring within .50 to the top of
the piston... and since there is this little combustion process going on
above it ... well the rings get a little hot... and well they Melt stuff....
be it bores... pistons.. or themselves...

I guess the one thing I've learned out of all my efforts is that it's real
easy to out trick yourself... keep it simple... built power by builting in
reliability.... buy the good Valves.. seats.. pistons...rods and especially
spend good money on the best bolts you can get... torque them correctly to
properly machined surfaces.. and enjoy the damn thing...

I am Very guilty of using what I have on hand even if it's not the best when
rebuilding my Healey motors...  it's dumb... just how many 100 blocks are
there lying around?

Just some food for thought.

Keith ( I'm going down to work on my hot rod... Bonneville is just around
the corner and I've got another 100hp....684hp and the record in C Gas
Modified Sports is 223mph.... since I went 246 with the old motor there is a
slight chance my wife is going to set a record this year )