RE: BJ 8 Running temperature-160 degrees

To: <EJBJR935@aol.com>, <rusd@velocitus.net>
Subject: RE: BJ 8 Running temperature-160 degrees
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:21:20 +1000
G'day

Sometimes the temperature sending unit is not located at the hottest
part of the engine.

I fitted a 160 degree wide mouth thermostat to the BN3 as the sending
unit is located in the top of the radiator. So when the gauge reads 160
degrees that's the temperature in the radiator but I know that it's
about 20 degrees hotter around the cylinder head.

Just as an aside I recall many years ago I was running a BN1 in
competition. It was a typical Sydney January and bloody hot. The circuit
was located in a natural bowl of land so there were little in the way of
wind. I was lucky as the gauge in my car wasn't working at the time so I
didn't think about it. However a fellow competitor who was running a
100S was saying how hot it was. I asked him what the temp gauge
indicated and he replied 170 degrees.

I was surprised and told him that 170 degrees wasn't hot and he
responded the sender unit wasn't connect but just taped to the chassis
rail. Donald Healey was there but kept his cool under his Aussie terry
towelling hat.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia