Re: Door Aperture Seal

To: "Lyle Matson" <medlabinc@msn.com>, <Simonlachlan@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Door Aperture Seal
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:40:18 -0400
Lyle,
The correct stuff hasn't been available for years. Even the reasonable
substitutes we used back in the late '70's and early '80's that at least had
a hard plastic barbed clip in the channel to grip the steel edge hasn't been
available for 20 years.
The only thing I know of that has been available, and it's terrible stuff,
is the furflex seal with a silly aluminum gripping clip and small round
section rubber bulb. The idea of this crap is to fasten steel barbed clips
on the door threshold flange every 3" or so and then carefully spread the
aluminum fingers over these, and gently crimp the aluminum down over the
steel barbs. It doesn't work very well but it's all we have for now. This
stuff is available in black, blue (too bright) and red (too purple).
So at this moment, nothing really acceptable is currently available, though
there are rumors of a couple of concerns presently dealing with developing
something. It's likely a long way off.
One thing I've noticed on a lot of Abingdon built 6 cylinder cars.....the
furflex portion going horizontally across the sill is supposed to be covered
by the inboard alloy sill strip. That's what it's there for...to keep feet
from striking and pulling the furflex off the sill edge.
Many cars I've observed do not have this inner sill strip covering the
furflex, rather they have been incorrectly installed to sit inboard and
beside the furflex.
Rich Chrysler