Re: wire wheels' spokes breaking

To: Bill Browning <gbrowning@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Re: wire wheels' spokes breaking
From: Alan Schultz <alan@andysnet.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 12:18:12 -0500
Front or rear? Front wheel spokes are subjected to a great deal of
stress since they absorb the cornering forces during normal steering
action.  If they are Dunlop wheels, the spokes are chrome plated (not
painted) they are brittle from the plating operation. If subjected to
enough stress it is possible to break 15 spontaneously. I suspect the
remaining spokes are also close to failure.

When you say "old wire wheel" do you mean several years old? Original?
Somewhere in between?

Alan S
HBJ8 (Aint-it-fun)